Never delete a message or a thread from the forum. Always move it here.
Yahuah

Postby Yahuah » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Last edited by Yahuah on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

sara456farmies

Re: What is a guild

Postby sara456farmies » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:52 pm

I agree 100%. :D It's difficult to find good players for guilds. Also . .if a guild's description says to include your farm level and size when you apply . . PLEASE do so! We don't like having to reply to ask for that information. :wall:
sara456farmies

Alderman of Canterbury Tales

My farm: http://www.mylittlefarmies.com/nickpage ... r/11011608

Ruthhanney

Postby Ruthhanney » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:31 pm

I think for many players who have never been in a guild, the concept of what a guild is is not fully understood. All they know other than the sketchy 'what a guild consists of' in the FAQ and that you must be level 12 to join IS that when they visit neighbours they have extra buildings and what do I have to do to get them?

They weren't here to see the steady progression of players reach higher and higher levels and become bored with just planting, harvesting, and making thalers. They weren't here when Upjers developers needed to entice/keep players' interest or lose them to some new game that could hold their interest, so they introduced co-operative farming or the guilds.

In truth, I think many are overwhelmed by what is really expected from players who do join or are die hard guilders. I know I've had to release a goodly number of folks who expected the guild to give to them, not give to the guild.

Let's be honest...being in a guild is an expensive proposition. Other than useless tribute points and pieces to collect for statues there is little reward for all you donate. You make pick up a neighbour or two although I personally try to keep neighbours and guild members separate...makes for more trading partner offers...lol.

You have slackers, you have workers, and you have those who act surprised when you give them the boot because they went AWOL for a week or two or never bothered to return from that 'short vacation' they took.

And yes, I agree...finding like minded, enthusiastic guild members is an endless job. And for those of us who make the decision to send that invite it's always on our mind...am I going to regret this decision or have I found that diamond in the rough who is going to be an asset, not a liability.

verkon
upjers-team

Postby verkon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 am

It's important to remember that not all players go into the game with the same kind of mindset. Some people log on once or twice a day (if even) to check their crops and open a booster; others spend several hours every day on the game and have very active in-game social lives.

There are plenty of guilds (especially lower in the rankings), where no one really cares if people contribute to the contests or mercantile expeditions. It's just sort of a "Oh, there's guilds? I should be in one" kind of thing. Especially at lower levels, being in a guild is rather taxing. Fulfilling the guild's needs may not contribute much to you getting ahead in the game, and your farm may still be so small that to make any noticeable contribution, you'd basically need to sacrifice your entire field. And of course real life gets in the way sometimes too.

I understand it's very frustrating for the higher level people in the top ranking guilds who dedicate a lot of time and energy to find members that will have that same dedicated mindset. These people have been around a long time, and may have already expanded as far as they will go; their priorities will shift from leveling up to be able to plant strawberries and whatnot to forming a social community to compete with other players.

The best you can do is be honest about your guild's ambitions and not describe yourself as a laid-back group of people that like to just like to chill and then expect everyone to slave away at contests and expeditions ;) (not referring to anyone specific, it's just something a lot of guilds say about themselves). It's no guarantee that you'll find the right people. Many people may go into guilds thinking they'll be active contributors, and of course they'll look to the first-page guilds. But when all the functions require products/crops they can't produce yet or will set them back considerably, or realize just how much thalers they need to donate, they may lose interest in being a part of guild activities. What's peanuts to veteran players may be a daunting amount for someone newer that hasn't figured out how to maximize profits (it may all seem pretty straightforward most players, but some players think they can run a chicken farm). I'd say it's pretty rare that people decide to be leechers from the start.

So try to be patient with people. And though I know it's frustrating, hold out and find those people that will mesh well with you, instead of ranting about the slackers ;)
Click HERE for help!
My PMs are disabled, but I will gladly answer any inquiries via the support form!

Yahuah

Postby Yahuah » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Last edited by Yahuah on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sixfoureight

Postby sixfoureight » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:36 pm

To be fair, I read Verkon's post and I don't see it as criticism of anyone or any guild in particular, I'm a little surprised that anyone would find his post offensive. If anything, he's only stating the obvious that some people might not fully understand how a guild works, or that people may not have the same level of enthusiasm for guild activities.

As the leader of a guild myself, I know it's really frustrating to invite people to the guild who end up contributing very little or nothing at all. It's hard to strike the right balance. When I put more effort into communicating with the guild members to encourage them to do our best, some felt that the pressure was too much and quit. But if I'm too lax, the members in the guild who do work hard start to get a little resentful that I'm keeping "slackers" in the guild and may leave to join a different guild.

verkon
upjers-team

Re: .

Postby verkon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:01 am

I'm locking this thread now, because it appears that I may have offended people. (I didn't delete any threads or posts in a rage or anything either -- the poster emptied them, and I just moved the emptied threads away).

Just let me reiterate: I'm not attacking anyone, not telling anyone they're doing it wrong, or anything of the sort. That was never my intent. I just wanted to remind people to be mindful of the casuals and people that don't know what all is up in guilds. Be patient and find the company you want :)

I'll leave this here for a bit so you can see the post, but then I'll be moving it to trash, so as not to cause any more issues.
Click HERE for help!
My PMs are disabled, but I will gladly answer any inquiries via the support form!

Return to “Trash”