New Forum

Questions about the game? Please first consult our in-game help or consult the FAQ, before posting your questions here!
Hyperion

New Forum

Postby Hyperion » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:31 am

I found your announcement. What does this mean for the game? I never used the portal not want to. Nor do I want any integration of my games.

And what does this mean for this forum. I assume you are not starting from scratch but how are you transferring posts and pm to the new forum?

In short, while I get from the post that this will shortly all be read-only I do not understand the process. It sounds a bit as if i will not be able to have a forum account if I am not using the portal. Is that the case?
Hyperion, S1, http://www.myfreezoo.com/nickpage/index/user/11085811
MFZ org is looking for active members. If you are interested, please contact Hyperion or Thalla.

hunch

Re: New Forum

Postby hunch » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:03 am

im a bit confused about this new forum system too. So any questions, suggestions etc, just go to that one, and this forum just stays right? Also, linking to what Hyperion said, does this mean my account on this forum will be useless? :strange:

Hunch

verkon
upjers-team

Postby verkon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 am

Soon, you won't be able to post here anymore. They'll be kept around, but only in read-only mode. That means it'll essentially be useless for any new issues. You'll be able to come back to any old posts and see what was written but not make any new posts.

Since it's just not realistic to copy all existing posts (not that I can anyway), I've only copied the existing FAQs and the formatting (copy is a loose word, I had to create the new forums from scratch). So they're a clean slate for now. They'll fill up eventually. The Portal has its own PM system.

And yes, you will need a Portal account to post in the new forums. If you don't have a Portal account (it's a rare occurrence these days), but really, really, really don't want to link your game to the Portal, you can always just make a new account solely for the Portal to use the forum and keep your old account separate. Is there anything particular about the Portal that's keeping you away (I'm just interested to hear what people think about it and what's motivating the last few unportaled players to stay that way).
Click HERE for help!
My PMs are disabled, but I will gladly answer any inquiries via the support form!

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks verkon, Hm, I think first thing about the portal was that it caused some trouble for some players, changed names and such. I never fully understood that, particularly the linking of game names to the portal name. In mff that wasn't a problem as one can just change the in-game name. I somewhat assume that is not an issue (or maybe never has been) anymore but am not a risk taker in this respect. My game names are usually spur of the moment names, rather than my "online identity", so I want to have freedom in that.

Uncertainty, ignorance, and lack of changing back is hence on top of my list for not signing up for portal, not yet anyway. I am happy to be educated though.

The other reason is a bit more complex in that I am only a hesitant participant in the linked up world anyway, you know the signing up with your google or facebook account for all kinds of things. Makes it easy on the surface but leaves irretrievable, permanent and highly intransparent webs of connections. I somehow doubt though that this is an issue for the majority of players, at least not currently.

And my games, not just the names I like to keep separate. It goes beyond names to playing different games with a different mindset. And if I should run sour with a game, forum, player and such I want to be able to disassociate fully. I have met some wonderful people online but also some, eh, erratic ones and am rather cautious. Even though we are fundamentally anonymous here, a game can run sour and I do not want it in any way to spill over into other games.

The last thing is that i am also not a fan of lots of distracting "stuff" on any page. If I do forum I want to do forum and not have tons of options of where to go, what to select. Again, probably not the standard player wish.

I did not know that I was holding out as one of the few unportaled oddities. I don't think I want my games linked to one portal, but I consider linking the zoo to the portal. Does that have any impact whatsoever on the game?
MFZ org is looking for active members. If you are interested, please contact Hyperion or Thalla.

MerleGrimes

Postby MerleGrimes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Hyperion wrote:Thanks verkon, Hm, I think first thing about the portal was that it caused some trouble for some players, changed names and such. I never fully understood that, particularly the linking of game names to the portal name. In mff that wasn't a problem as one can just change the in-game name. I somewhat assume that is not an issue (or maybe never has been) anymore but am not a risk taker in this respect. My game names are usually spur of the moment names, rather than my "online identity", so I want to have freedom in that.

Uncertainty, ignorance, and lack of changing back is hence on top of my list for not signing up for portal, not yet anyway. I am happy to be educated though.

The other reason is a bit more complex in that I am only a hesitant participant in the linked up world anyway, you know the signing up with your google or facebook account for all kinds of things. Makes it easy on the surface but leaves irretrievable, permanent and highly intransparent webs of connections. I somehow doubt though that this is an issue for the majority of players, at least not currently.

And my games, not just the names I like to keep separate. It goes beyond names to playing different games with a different mindset. And if I should run sour with a game, forum, player and such I want to be able to disassociate fully. I have met some wonderful people online but also some, eh, erratic ones and am rather cautious. Even though we are fundamentally anonymous here, a game can run sour and I do not want it in any way to spill over into other games.

The last thing is that i am also not a fan of lots of distracting "stuff" on any page. If I do forum I want to do forum and not have tons of options of where to go, what to select. Again, probably not the standard player wish.

I did not know that I was holding out as one of the few unportaled oddities. I don't think I want my games linked to one portal, but I consider linking the zoo to the portal. Does that have any impact whatsoever on the game?

I think there is some misunderstanding here. You don't need to connect your facebook or chrome to the portal. I certainly didn't

verkon
upjers-team

Postby verkon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:09 am

I see where you're coming from - it's definitely easier to accept the Portal if you have a single online identity.

Generally, if you have a Portal account, new game accounts will all have the same username. Right now, My Free Zoo is one of the games that doesn't actually change names if you link an existing account to a different Portal name. There is no impact on the game whatsoever. The only thing that will change, is that you'd need to change your e-mail through the Portal if you ever want to do that, instead of in the game. I don't *think* they will do the same thing to My Free Zoo that they did to My Little Farmies, where it force-adopted the Portal name as a result of some necessary changes, but it's not something I can or would guarantee.

The Portal is nice in that it doesn't actually do all that signing in with Facebook/Google Plus jazz that a lot of other sites do. Your real identity is still under wraps - the only real piece of information you provide is the e-mail address, and it's hidden from other players. I can also say in the Portal's defense, that it's doesn't have any advertisements, and isn't particularly flashy when it comes to things to click on either. I've never found it terribly distracting. For people that do have one name they like to use everywhere, it's very convenient in that you only need to log in once, instead of logging into each individual game.

The one thing that the portal does have is upjers points. You can earn them from a daily scratchcard-like thing (which isn't shoved in your face either, you need to go there) and achievements in games. They are used for a sort of ranking, and as a very minor perk, you can get 2 premium currency in a game of your choice every 200 points or so (it's a drop in the bucket really, but a nice little thing for new players).

I'd say in your case, just make yourself some random Portal account and have a look at it. If you want, you can just keep a gameless Portal account for the Forums. No one will force you to connect your accounts. The only thing you'll need to keep in mind is that you'll actually need to include your username/ID if you're reporting any bugs or whatnot - something I know you do anyway. (One of the big advantages of the Forum for me is that I can find people's accounts based on their name far more easily if they're linked with the Portal - it's a bit trickier here, where the forums and our games are completely separate and people don't manage to get their info straight ;)).
Click HERE for help!
My PMs are disabled, but I will gladly answer any inquiries via the support form!

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks for the detailed answer, I appreciate it. I think i will do what you suggested, just try it out as a forum and see if I want to link. And so ends my unportaled existence ...

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm

MerleGrimes wrote:I think there is some misunderstanding here. You don't need to connect your facebook or chrome to the portal. I certainly didn't

I meant more in general, connecting online aspects that are often quite separate for me. I just happen to be not enamored with this linking, particularly when I cannot disconnect at will. I admit this is not much of a concern with the portal, but I simply like my fragmented online multiplicity.

Al Cracka

Postby Al Cracka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 am

I wish I could change my username for the portal; mine's lame.
My zoo
S2 Level 44 Global Zoo

MFZ Wiki - message me to get involved!

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:41 am

I still find it somewhat weird that the whole content seems to get lost. I mean it is all electronic and not as if someone has to scan it in or refile, that can't possibly be so difficult. For the most part this is only text, in today's age, how is this problematic?

How is it handled internationally? I could, for example, not find a similar notice or discussion on the German board, or NL etc. They are more active there and I would think it a huge deal if all their discussions would just get lost. Or PM for that matter.
Last edited by Hyperion on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Questions and Beginner Help”